Google Search

Sunday, July 24, 2022

Be an Optimist — By Dave Jones, Your Friendly CPA

 

On the surface life balance to me is balancing family and career, saving for tomorrow or living for today, or the many items that we try to balance in our lives.

However, this is just the surface of life balance. Life is 10% what we make it and 90% how we take it. Applying this principle to my life, my attitude has more to do with my life than how I have applied the daily activities. What is he talking about you ask? What I mean is that even if I have my 10% in balance; my career time versus my family time, and work versus play, if I am still approaching this with a negative pessimistic attitude will I truly be happy?

I believe we must get our 90% in check before working on our 10%. I believe we can learn to be optimists. We can learn to approach each and every event and challenge in our lives with a positive attitude, find the silver lining. With that being said, I know some may have medical conditions that take precedence over their attitude, I am not a medical professional and for those that do face these challenges, please consult a professional.

For those who do not have any underlying medical conditions here are a few tips to being optimistic. However before applying the tips, you can go into this exercise knowing that optimists tend to have overall health benefits compared to pessimists. In a 2002 Mayo Clinic report, studies showed those with an optimistic view tend to live longer than their pessimistic counterparts. The study also showed optimists reported:

·           Fewer problems with work and daily activities

·           Less pain and fewer limitations due to pain

·           Less interference from physical or emotional problems

·           Increased energy

·           Feeling more peaceful, happier and calmer


Life will inevitably be faced with challenges and frustrations. It’s up to you to improve your life and enhance your overall being. You can do a number of things to experience greater joy and pleasure in life:

·           Exercise. Aerobic exercise releases endorphins - the feel good substance -which reduces stress, depression and anxiety. Next time you get upset try taking a half hour walk and leave the I-Pod at home. Enjoy the sounds and smells around you and concentrate on counting your blessings. It will take practice but be cognizant of focusing on the positive.

 

·           Eat Well. Your body is a machine and needs to be properly nourished to function. Eating a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, nuts and grains can improve the way you feel.

 

·           Get plenty of rest. Sleep refreshes you. It improves your attitude and gives you energy for physical activity and coping with stress.

 

·           Reduce Stress. Stress is a killer. Eliminating stress and conflict in your life will be rewarding.

 

Another suggestion is to start your day with an optimistic attitude, get out of bed 15 minutes early and get your mind in order to be positive for the day. Spend the 15 minutes in solitude and prepare for the upcoming day. Try repeating some of these positive affirmations:

·           Today, I am in control of my attitude no matter what happens. I am vital & energetic.

·           I respond to stressful situations in healthy and healing ways. I am serene & peaceful.

 

If you are a true pessimist at heart, take your time but be confident that you can change your attitude. When we get our attitudes in check then we need to make sure our life’s activities are in balance. I am sure everyone has heard that no one has lain on their death bed wishing they had spent more hours at the office. But first let’s concentrate on the 90% of life, how we take it, and then get your 10% in check, how we make it.


No comments:

Post a Comment