Google Search

Sunday, July 24, 2022

Finding Balance Between Creativity and Family — By Lisa Leonard, Lisa Leonard Online

 

For me, the drive to create isn’t optional. Ideas swim around in my mind, run through my veins and keep me up at night. I am driven to express myself through creativity. I have a creative business that requires me to work every day.  But even if I didn’t have a business, I know I would be focusing more creative energy on decorating, entertaining…something!

 

So the question isn’t, ‘Should I create?’ but, ‘How can I balance my need to create with my need to take care of my family?’ This is an ongoing process for me, one that I am sure a lot of moms can relate to. Here are some small tips on what works for me.

Take Breaks

 

 

I plan on taking lots of breaks. I get lots of work done while the boys are at school or after they are in bed, but there are times I need to work while they are home and awake. I try to gear up for interruptions. One will need juice; another will need a diaper change. I don’t mind asking them to wait for a couple minutes, but their needs come first and small interruptions should be expected!

Stay On Top of Your Workload

 

 

I try to stay on top of my emails and projects. I am not always successful, but when I fall behind I find myself more stressed. It is worth it for me to stay up half an hour later and finish my to-do list for the day.

Be Realistic

 

 

Speaking of to-do lists, I try to keep mine realistic. I have begun to realize that the day only holds 24 hours (shocking, I know!) and only so much can be accomplished. That’s OK, there is always tomorrow and another set of tasks to be accomplished.

Make Time for Fun

 

 

I find that we often have to get out of the house to have focused fun time. Even a trip to the grocery store can be a treat! Each child gets to choose a special snack. Stickers and balloons wait at the check stand. It’s time to focus on the boys and talk with them. Of course, we also do kid things like a trip to the park, pumpkin patch or a play date with friends. We make time for fun every day.

Get Help

 

 

I remember clearly the day when I realized I was in over my head. I had a meltdown and felt completely overwhelmed. It was a turning point for us as a family. It made sense to hire someone to help with packing and shipping. I was spending hours every week doing a task that I could have someone else do. This freed me up to have more time with my family and more creative energy to put into the business.

Don’t Wish the Time Away

 

 

Our kids are only young once… Soak up the days and enjoy them. I try to treasure our moments together and, as much as I can, I let them be a part of my work.

How do you find balance between creativity and family?


No comments:

Post a Comment