Google Search

Sunday, July 24, 2022

The See Saw: a Metaphor for Life Balance — By Stacey Shipman, Let it Flow

 

There’s no secret to balance. You just have to feel the waves. - Frank Herbert

 

When I was a little girl, I loved playing on the see-saw– me on one end, my best friend on the other. Up and down we moved, giggling playfully, hair blowing with every push off the ground. We floated up and down with laughter and with ease.

Occasionally we attempted to balance the see saw. We had to find our place in the center, face to face, feet not touching the ground. What a challenge to balance the see saw! I cannot remember a time when we succeeded in finding balance. Frustrated, we quickly gave up, happily returning to the ease of pushing each other up and down.

I see this as a wonderful metaphor for life balance for reasons that include:

 

 

Ups and Downs. Like the see saw, life comes with ups and downs – happiness/sadness, busy times/slow times. I admit, I prefer happy over sad, but truth be told both are a part of life. We have to experience and embrace the ups and the downs instead of fight them. They aren’t going anywhere and often we cannot control them.

While the ups and downs can be bumpy, frustrating or fast moving, I find that when I allow them to happen naturally I experience and enjoy life more. When I fight them, I’m out of balance.

 

It’s fun for a while, but then I need a break. Although fun, we tired of the see saw and needed a break. We engaged in a different activity, and eventually found our way back to the see saw - maybe the same day, maybe the next. Much like certain aspects of my life! As much as I love my work and my family, sometimes I need to step away in order to clear my mind! The ups and downs of life can get tiresome – give yourself a (short) break and re-energize. Take a vacation day, get out of the house, go to that yoga class - do something different to refresh your body and your mind.

Let it flow. Trying to find balance on the see saw felt forced and frustrating, resulting in a failed attempt at balance. Gently gliding up and down was so much easier and more fun! In our lives we try so desperately to find balance, to gain control. In my experience this need for control creates more tension, stress and imbalance. When I allow myself to simply “let it flow” I am more at ease and fluid with my thoughts and actions. My body is relaxed. My mind is calm. I’m making appropriate choices. Let go of control and let it flow.

 

The Bottom line. For me, balance is allowing the ebb and flow of life to happen naturally. I cannot control the ups and downs, but I can control my choices. Tuning in to my physical, emotional and spiritual needs, rather than focusing on time spent on certain activities, provides me the insight I need to make appropriate choices. When I make choices that align with my goals and values, I am in balance. Some days I work more than I play. But as long as that work is part of my overall plan, I am happy with that decision. I am in balance. Focus less on balance and control and more on your choices, and you may find that balance is closer than you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment